After Care in Tobacco Cultivation
1. Transplanted tobacco seedlings get established within 10 days then gap filling is done.
2. Frequent hoeing and weedings are given to conserve soil moisture and to check weed growth.
3. 2 to 3 hoeings are given at 15 days interval.
4. One hand weeding is given to loose the soil and slight earthing up.
B) Topping and Desuckering:
1. Removal of the terminal bud with or without some of the small top leaves just before or a after the emergence of the flower head is called as topping in tobacco.
2. In M. S. bidi tobacco is topped by retaining 13 to 15 leaves on the plant.
3. One week after topping branches are arise from the axils of the leaves known as suckers.
4. These suckers are removed before attaining 5 cm length known as desuckering.
5. Desuckering operation is done for two to three times.
6. Both topping and desuckering operations help to divert the nutrients and energy towards the leaves.
7. This results in increase in the size and quality of leaves.