Benefits from Agro-forestry
Combining trees with food crops on cropped farms yield certain environmental benefits such as,
1. Reduction of pressure on Forrest.
2. More efficient recycling of nutrients by deep rooted trees on the site.
3. Better protection of ecological systems.
4. Reduction of surface run-off, nutrient leaching and soil erosion.
5. Improvement of microclimate, such as lowering of soils surface temperature and reduction of evaporation of soil moisture due to mulching and shading.
6. Increment in soil fertility through addition and decomposition of litter fall.
Agro-forestry brings significant economic benefits to the farmers, the community, the region and the nation such as:
1. Increment in outputs of food, fodder, fuel wood, timber and organic matter.
2. Reduction in incidence of total crop failure.
3. Increase in levels of farm incomes due to improved and sustained productivity.
1. Improvement in rural living standards from sustained employment and higher income.
2. Improvement in nutrition and health due to increased quality and diversity of food.
3. Provides stability to rural peoples.
4. Ecological balance.
5. Pollution reduction.