Botanical Name and Economic Uses of Mustard or Rape Seed
Local Name : Mohari, Tikkya, Rai, Serson
Family : Cruciferae
Botanical Name : Brassica juncea
Origin : Europe
India occupies the first position both in area and production of rape seed and mustard.
1. Rape seed and mustard give edible oil which is used as cooking medium in north India.
2. Seed is used as condiment in the preparation of vegetable and curries.
3. Split seed (Mohari dal) and oil is used for pickling.
4. The leaves of the young plants are used as vegetable.
5. Oil cake is fed to cattle.
6. Oil content mustard varies from 30 to 48%.
7. Oil content of white mustard varies from 25 to 33%.