Botanical Name and Economic Uses of Turmeric
Local Name: Halad, Haldi
Family : Zinziberaceae
Botanical Name: Curcuma longa
Origin : South Aisa
1. Turmeric is used as condiment in every Indian household.
2. It is used as a colouring matter for foodstuffs.
3. The yellow dye obtained from turmeric is used for dyeing cotton, silk, wool, paper etc.
4. It has medicinal properties and is used for external application against pain and wounds and internally as stimulant.
5. It is used in the preparation of cosmetics and Ayurvedic medicines.
6. It has religious value and is used in various functions and festivals.
7. It is used for preparation of kum-kum, bookha etc.
8. It is important cash crop and gives valuable foreign exchange t country.