Botanical Name, Economic Uses and Varieties of Linseed (Flax)
Local Name : Jawas, Alshi
Family : Linaceae
Botanical Name : Linum usitatissimum
Origin : Afghanistan
1. India is one of the main producer and exporter of linseed and linseed oil.
2. Linseed is important oil seed as well as fiber crop.
3. In India it is mainly grown as oil seed crop and oil is used for culinary purpose.
4. The oil is drying hence mainly used for manufacturing paints, varnishes, oil cloths etc.
5. Oil cake is used as manure and cattle feed.
6. Seed is used for making chutnees.
7. In western countries it is mainly grown for fiber purpose for making linen goods.
8. Oil content of the linseed is about 35 to 42%.
Malshiras – 10, Sholapur – 36, N – 55, C – 429, RLC – 4 (Jagdamba)