Choice of Species for Agro and Farm Forestry
Following considerations mainly motivate the selection of species in social forestry.
(1) Rapid growth
(2) No competition with field crop.
(3) Fixation of Nitrogen
(4) Easy decomposition of litter or leaves
(5) Fast growth and easy establishment
(6) Ability to regenerate
(7) High yield of wood and fodder
(8) Multiple use of wood like Subabul
(9) Plant with deep tap root system
(10) Plant yielding small timber
(11) Easy in establishment and ability to coppice
(12) Capacity to grow under wide range of environment, soil types, rainfall etc.
(13) For recreation and shade plants with quick growing and give shade and pleasing colour like Spathodia, Gulmohar, Cassia, Jakaranda are selected.