Cultural Methods in Lucerne Cultivation
1. One to two deep ploughing, clod crushing and 2 to 3 harrowing are given and fine seedbed is prepared.
2. Land is converted either into flat beds or ridges and furrows.
3. It is sown from 15th Oct to 15th Nov.
4. Sowing is done by broadcasting or drilling method.
5. Seeds are treated with rhizobium inoculants just before sowing.
6. Seed rate is 29 to 25 kg/ha.
7. Spacing is 25 to 30 cm between two rows.
8. Weeding or hoeing is done after every cutting and one earthing up operation is done after 5 to 6 months.
9. 20 to 25 tones FYM and 50kg P2O5/ha. is added before last harrowing.
10. Lucerne crop needs regular supply of water all round the year. The irrigations are given at 20 days interval in rainy season (in case of no rains), 12 to 15 days interval in winter and 8 to 10 days in summer season.