Curing of Turmeric
1. The cleaned finger rhizomes are cured by boiling them in an iron pan.
2. The rhizomes are cooked are cooked in water for 2.5 to 3 hours.
3. The rhizomes are boiled in water till a forth comes out and white fumes appear giving out a characteristic odour.
4. The rhizomes become soft and break easily when pressed between the fingers.
5. They are taken out of the pan and spread on a hard ground for sun drying for about one to two weeks.
6. They are stirred 3 to 4 times for uniform drying.
7. Fully dried rhizomes are again cleaned of roots if any and polished.
8. If produce is in small quantity the it is polished by rubbing with hand against the hard ground.
9. If produce is large in quantity polishing is done by using revolving drum.
10.Turmeric powder or ‘middle chrome’ (an artificial dye) is used for giving necessary color and polish to the rhozomes.