Detection of Addition of Skim Milk, Milk Powder or Partial Removal of Fat from Milk
To detect addition of skim milk, milk powder or partial removal of fat from milk.
i) Pure milk
ii) Defatted milk, skim milk / milk powder.
i) Queveins Lactometer
ii) Dairy floating thermometer.
1. Take well mixed pure milk sample (control) in jar.
2. Note the temperature of milk.
3. Note the lactometer reading at the temperature.
4. Found out the corrected lactometer reading.
5. On similar line take lactometer reading and temperature of the given sample of milk.
6. Calculate corrected lactometer reading of the given sample of milk.
7. Compare the C.L.R. of the both milk samples.
If C.L.R. of milk sample is higher than the pure milk sample (control) then it is taken as the milk adulterated with addition of skim milk or removal of cream.