Ecological Requirement for Cultivation of Gram
A) Climatic Requirement for Cultivation of Gram:
1. Gram is a cool and dry season crop.
2. The temperature ranging from 180 to 250C is good for crop growth.
3. It grows in areas receiving 650 to 1000 mm rainfall per annum (year)
4. Bright sunshine during growth period helps in getting maximum yield.
5. Cloudy weather and frost conditions during flowering reduce flowering and seed setting.
6. Rainfall immediately after sowing or during flowering may cause damage to the crop.
B) Soil Requirement for Cultivation of Gram:
1. Gram crop can be grown on wide range of soil.
2. But well drained medium to black cotton soils are very suitable.
3. It can also be grown in light alluvial soils which are rich in organic matter.
4. It cannot grow well on water logged and acidic soils.