Ecological Requirement for Cultivation Rabi Sorghum
A) Climatic Requirement for Cultivation Rabi Sorghum:
1. Moderately warm and dry climate.
2. Optimum temperature requirement is between 150C to 320C.
3. Temperature below 150C for longer period during winter retard the growth and attack of aphids increases.
4. Low temperature with humidity results in infection of Chikta.
5. Rainfall requirement is 600 to 750 mm per year.
6. There should be heavy rainfall (more than 20 mm) during second fortnight of September for growing rainfed rabi Jowar.
B) Soil Requirement for Cultivation Rabi Sorghum:
1. Rabi Jowar can be grown on wide range of soils from light to heavy.
2. Water retentive medium to deep black cotton soils are best for rainfed crop.
3. Well drained clayey loam soils are ideal for irrigated rabi Jowar.
4. It can tolerate medium acidic or saline soils to some extent.