Ecological Requirement for Ginger Cultivation
A) Climatic Requirement for Ginger Cultivation:
1. Ginger is the tropical crop.
2. It requires warm and humid climate.
3. It is a shade loving plant and grows well under partial shade.
4. It requires ample moisture for normal growth.
5. Cool climate is needed during rhizome development.
6. It is grown as rainfed crop in heavy rainfall areas and as irrigated crop in moderate rainfall areas.
B) Soil Requirement for Ginger Cultivation:
1. Well drained friable loamy or alluvial soil is ideal for ginger.
2. It can also be grown in light soil, rich in humus.
3. Heavy, water logged and alkaline soils are not suitable.