Ecological Requirement for Onion Cultivation
A) Climatic Requirement for Onion Cultivation:
1. Onion crop can be grown in varied type of climatic conditions, but mild climate is most suitable.
2. Extremes of heat, cold and rainfall are not suitable for growing onion.
3. The optimum temperature range should be 140C to 160C for 10 hours in a day with 70% humidity is best for getting good yield.
4. The rainfall requirement is 750 to 1000 mm/year.
5. It requires bright sunny weather during bulb development stage therefore is grows well in rabi season.
B) Soil Requirement for Onion Cultivation:
1. Onion can be grown in alluvial, loamy medium type of soils.
2. The soil should be well drained loose and friable.
3. Heavy clay, marshy and alkaline soils are not suitable.