Ecological Requirement for Tobacco Cultivation
A) Climatic Requirement for Tobacco Cultivation:
1. Basically tobacco is a semi tropical crop but can be successfully grown in tropical region.
2. It requires 210C to 310C temperature during growth period.
3. An annual rainfall requirement is 500 to 1,250 mm.
4. It cannot tolerate high speed winds and storms during growth period.
5. Frost conditions during maturity are harmful.
6. N. rustica requires cooler climate as compared to N. tabacum.
B) Soil Requirement for Tobacco Cultivation:
1. Tobacco crop requires light to medium loam soil which is poor in humus content but better in potash, phosphoric acid and iron.
2. Soil rich in humus and nitrogen gives more yield but the quality of tobacco is poor due to its objectionable smoke.
3. Heavy soil and water logged soil is unsuitable for tobacco crop.