Ecological Requirements in Potato Cultivation
A) Climatic Requirements in Potato Cultivation:
1. Potato is a temperate region crop and requires cool climate.
2. But it is adapted to wide range of climatic conditions.
3. It grows well in temperature between 150C to 250C.
4. High day temperature 20-250C is good for vegetative growth while 15-200C night temperature is good for tuber formation.
5. Tuber formation stop totally when temperature goes above 300C.
B) Soil Requirements in Potato Cultivation:
1. Potato can be grown on any well drained soils which are rich in organic matter.
2. However, loam or sandy loam soils are most suitable for proper tuber development.
3. It prefers slightly acidic soils i.e. soils having 5.2 to 6.4 pH.
4. It cannot tolerate alkaline soil.