Factors Affecting Soil Water
1. Texture: Finer the texture, more is the pore space and also surface area, greater is the retention of water.
2. Structure: Well-aggregated porous structure favors better porosity, which in turn enhance water retention.
3. Organic matter: Higher the organic matter more is the water retention in the soil.
4. Density of soil: Higher the density of soil, lower is the moisture content.
5. Temperature: Cooler the temperature, higher is the moisture retention.
6. Salt content: More the salt content in the soil less is the water available to the plant.
7. Depth of soil: More the depth of soil more is the water available to the plant.
8. Type of clay: The 2:1 type of day increases the water retention in the soil.