Functions and Powers of Panchayat Samiti
1. Panchayat samiti has to channels all development programmes which would evoke people involvement and participation within their jurisdiction.
2. They have to exercise the powers for planning, executing and evaluating their programmes.
3. Panchayat Samiti has to secure firm support of the people for which the programme is implemented and continued.
4. The powers are used to make efficient use of local resources for whole taluka.
5. The powers are utilized to sanction the budget, plans and modification or the village level work at various locations.
6. The loans available with Development Department through Banks may be spent and recovered timely.
7. The President and Members of the Panchayat Samiti need to include economical, social and cultural aspects of Development Block.
8. Panchayat Samiti acts as inter-me diary for handing over the activities or official programme sanctioned by the Government at the village level.
9. Block Development Officer has to supervise over all programmes of the Panchayat Samiti and keeps on reporting to the higher authorities. He is supported with Subject Matter Specialists and Ministerial staff at his head quarter.
10. Panchayat Samiti has to reach the grass root level with felt need based programmes to the people. It has to certain the very specific local problems of different nature and the same have to be presented in the form of proposals to higher authority.