Harvesting Practice and Yield in Rabi Sorghum
Harvesting Practice in Rabi Sorghum
1. Rabi Jowar matures in the month of February.
2. The fully matured plants are either cut close to the ground or pulled out.
3. They are kept in the field for initial drying.
4. The ear heads are nipped or removed from the stalks and carried to the threshing yard.
5. They are spread on threshing floor and allowed to dry for 3 to 4 days.
6. Threshing is done by trampling the ear heads under the feet of bullocks or by threshing machine.
7. Threshed material is winnowed and grains are cleaned from the chaff.
1. Av. Yield of local varieties:
i) Unirrigated rabi jowar – 650 to 750 kg/ha.
ii) Irrigated rabi jowar – 1200 to 1800 kg/ha.
2. Av. Yield of improved and hybrid varieties:
i) Unirrigated rabi jowar – 1200 to 1500 kg/ha.
ii) Irrigated rabi jowar – 2500 to 3000 kg/ha.
3. Grain to Kadbi ratio varies from 1 : 2 to 1 : 2 : 5.
4. Av. Yield of green fodder :
i) In light soil – 20 tons/ha
ii) In heavy soil – 35 tons/ha