Important Diseases of Potato
1. Early blight
2. Late blight
3. Ring rot (Bangadi disease)
4. Virus diseases
5. Tambera (Mite disease)
6. Charcol rot.
1. Early Blight:
1. It appears in the early stage of crop growth.
2. Brown spots scattered irregularly are appeared on leaves.
3. In severe case leaves shrivel and fall down.
2. Late Blight:
1. It appears in the latter stage of crop growth and is serious disease both of foliage and tubers.
2. First small brown patches are formed on the leaves and the infected leaves shrivel and curl.
3. The spot develop rapidly and spread on the stem and tubers which rottens in storage.
C. M: (for both above disease)
1. Spraying of Bordeauz mixture (5:5:50).
2. Spraying of Dithane Z – 78 @ 1.25 kg in 500 lit. water at 15 days interval.
3. Use of disease free sets for planting.
3. Ring Rot or Bacterial Wilt:
1. It is a bacterial disease.
2. Leaves turn yellow and growth of plant is stopped.
3. Infected plant get wilted and finally collapse.
4. Affected potatoes when cut brown rounded spot is found.
1. Use of disease free tubers for planting from simla region.
2. Grow disease resistant varieties.
3. Follow proper crop rotation.
1. This disease is spread in hot and humid condition.
2. The red coloured spots are observed on lower side of leaves.
3. Finally leaves get dry and drrop down.
1. Spraying lime sulphur @ 1 kg in 500 lit. water.
5. Virus Disease:
1. The potato crop is affected by various virus diseases like leaf roll, mosaic,etc.
2. These disease are spread by aphids.
1. Use healthy tubers from simla regions for planting.
2. Uproot and destroy affected plants.
3. Control the aphids by spraying insecticides.