Important Pests for Rabi Jowar
1.Jowar Shoot Fly:
1. This pest is found in early sown rabi jowar crop upto one month from sowing.
2. Larvae cut the growing points of seedlings causing dead-hearts.
1. Adjust the sowing date.
2. Use increased seedrate.
3. Uproot and destroy infested seedlings.
4. Treat the seed with carbofuron @ 200 gm/kg seed.
5. Apply 3% carbofuron or 4% endosulfan or 10% phorate G.
2. Stem Borer:
1. Caterpillars feed on leaves and bore into the stems causing dead hearts.
2. It also tunnel the stem and bore into earhead.
1. Collect and destroy all the stubble of previous crop after harvest.
2. Apply 4% endosulfan or carbaryl granules.
3. Spray 0.05% lindane or endosulfan.
1. Nymphs and adults suck the sap from the leaves and shoots.
2. They secretes honey dew like substance on which black shoot mould grows.
3. The leaves become blackish and interfering with photosynthesis.
Spraying of 0.05% endosulfan or 0.04% dimethoate for 2 times at 15 days interval.