Important Pests of Potato
1. Potato tuber moth
2. Cut worm
3. White grub
1. Potato Tuber Moth:
1. Infield the caterpillar feed on the leaves and later attack the exposed tubers.
2. The caterpillar made a tunnel in the tubers and feed inner content.
3. Finally affected tubers get rottened from inside.
1. Covering of exposed tubers in the field by soil.
2. Infested tubers should be separated at the time of harvesting and destroyed.
3. Spraying of Malathion or Carbaryl @ 1.5 kg in 750 lit. water on potato crop in the field.
4. Spraying of tuber by monochrotophos @ 1.25 lit in 500 lit. water.
2. Cut Worm:
1. The larvae remain hidden under soil during day and feed on crop during night time.
2. They cut the young potato plant at the base near the soil and feed on leaves and tender shoot.
1. Application of 5% chlordane or heptachlor dust in the soil @ 50 kg/ha.
2. Put some grass place to place in the field during evening and collect and destroy the larvae in next day morning hidden under the grass.
3. Aphids and Jassids:
1. Both nymphs and adults of these pests suck the cell sap from lower side of the leaves.
2. The affected leaves become wrinkled and yellow and finally die.
3. These pests are responsible for spread of viral diseases.
1. Spraying of Malathion or parathion @ 500 ml. in 500 lit. water for 2 to 3 times at 15 days interval.
2. Application of 10% [email protected] 7.5 kg/ha in soil at the time of planting.
4. White Grub:
The beetles are feed on leaves by leaving midribs.
Spraying of carbaryl @ 1 kg in 500 lit. water for two times at 20 days interval.