Important Pests of Tobacco
1. Tobacco caterpillar (cutworm)
2. Tobacco stem borer
3. Tobacco aphid
1. Tobacco Caterpillar (Cutworm):
The caterpillar first feed on the leaves and later on cut the plants at ground level specially during night hours.
1. Dusting of 4% carbaryl.
2. Spraying of 0.05% endosulfan.
3. Deep ploughing is done after the harvest of the crop to expose the pupae.
2. Tobacco Stem Borer:
1. Caterpillar mine through leaves and midribs.
2. Finally bores into stem and causes stunting plant growth and unusual branching.
1. Removal and destruction of affected leaves and plants.
2. Spraying of 1% fish oil rosin soap.
3. Select healthy seedlings for transplanting.
3. Tobacco Aphid:
1. Nymphs and adults suck the sap from leaves due to which leaves becomes yellow and crumple.
2. It is responsible for transmission of viral diseases.
1. Spraying of 0.05% Malathion.
2. Spraying of 40% Nicotine sulphate.