Important Pests of Wheat
1. Termites (White ants)
4. Stem borer
1. The termites (worker group) feed on the roots and underground stem.
2. The damaged plants are dry up and are easily pulled out.
The caterpillars of cutworms remain hidden under the soil during day-time and cut the plants of soil level and feed on them during night-time.
Mix 5% aldrin powder @ 125 kg/ha. at the time of land preparation
1. The caterpillar bore into the stem and tillers and feed on central shoot.
2. Finally there is formation of dead hearts.
1. Pull out and destroy dead-hearts.
2. Spray 0.05% endosulfan.
1. Rats cause heavy losses by directly feeding on the wheat crop.
2. Their borrowings in the soil lead to lodging of the crop.
1. Rat are controlled by using the zinc phosphide poison basis and selphos tablets.
2. One part of zinc phosphide and som
e oil is mixed in 50 parts of wheat flour and small balls (baits) are prepared.
3. One ball is put in every rat hole and close the mouth of hole by wet soil.
4. Next day put half pellet of 3 gm selphos in holes that have been opened and close the properly to kill the remaining rats.
5. Repeat the process twice at 15 to 20 days interval.
6. If such operations has been done on mass scale the rats can be controlled completely.