Irrigation for Sugarcane Cultivation
1. Optimum supply of water according to stage of growth, season and soil type is very essential in sugarcane.
2. Heavy irrigation results in deterioration of soil structure, salt accumulation, water logging condition and wastage of water.
3. Shortage of water results in stunted growth, pith formation in cane and low yield.
4. The total water requirement varies according to type of crop i.e. Adsali or pre-seasonal or suru.
5. In general no irrigation is applied during rainy season except long dry spell.
6. In case of heavy soil it may be given at 10 days in summer and 20 days interval in winter.
7. In light to medium soils, the interval is 7 days in summer and 15 days in winter.