Layout of Nursery for Forestry
For better management and smooth running supervision of various operations of the nursery and proper movement of nursery stock, layout of nursery is very essential. While laying nursery out following points should be considered.
Some area should be kept for rising out preparation of nursery:
1. Beds should be prepared east-west direction to protect tiny seedlings from sun and frost.
2. Sufficient areas should be kept for ready nursery stock.
3. There should bone storehouse and potting house to carry potting and re-potting operations.
4. There should be shade for keeping newly planted shade loving plants at initial stage.
5. Watchman shade should be prepared at higher elevation so as to keep better supervision.
6. Water source should be created at central area.
7. There should be sufficient space for pump house.
8. Area of nursery should be divided at rectangular plot by preparing main pathway and sub pathway.
9. Drainage trenches should be along with pathway. Pipeline for irrigation should be installing along with road side.
10. Area should be protected by fencing from stray cattle.
11. Live hedges should be prepared towards windward site to protect from stormy and hot winds.