This is second tier above the Gram Panchayat and under the Zilla Parishad. So it is middle or linked tier of Panchayat Raj System. This institutes plans for Taluka or Block area. The long programmes are organized by officials and non-officials of Panchayat Samiti with the help of voluntary Institution at Block level.
Administration Formed Body:
The administrative formal body of the Panchayat Samiti constitutes by including following members:
1. Sarpanchas of all Village Panchayats coming under the jurisdiction of the Development Block.
2. Local M.L. as and M.L.Cs. with right to vote but not to hold the office.
3. One person nominated by District Collector for every Panchayat for which no Sarpanch has been elected.
4. Reservation seats: 1/3rd seats are reserved for women, which is elected.
5. Two persons with experience in administration and public life.
6. The President and Vice-President of Panchayat Samiti are generally elected from the members of Panchayat Samiti.
7. Block Development Officer is appointed by Government as Official man and he is the Chief Executive of Panchayat samiti.
A Panchayat Samiti normally has following Standing Committees:
i) Standing Committee I: It looks after planning of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry activities.
ii) Standing Committee II: It is made for cooperation and cottage industry.
iii) Standing Committee III: It works for education, women’s welfare and social welfare aspects.
iv) Standing Committee IV: It plans for communication and public works facilities.
v) Standing Committee V: The work of all types of taxation and financial aspects taken care for.
Structure of a Committee:
Every Standing Committee of Panchayat Samiti includes seven members along with President and Vice-President. The President is the Chairman of all Standing Committee. Each Committee has independent set of powers for sanction within specified limits and arrangements while executing their work plans and schemes in prescribed forms.