Pests and Disease of Turmeric
A) Important Pests of Turmeric:
1. Rhizome Fly:
1. The maggot bores into the shoots of turmeric plant and as a result, the holes are found on plants.
2. Further maggot feed on the rhizome which result in rhizome rot.
1. Use healthy seed material for planting.
2. Remove and destroy affected plants.
3. Spraying of diazinon.
4. Application of 10% phorate @ 20 kg/ha. Around the base of the plants.
2. Shoot Boring Caterpillar:
1. The moths lay eggs on leaves and other soft plant parts.
2. The caterpillar hatches out of eggs bore into the shoots and fet inner content which causes formation of dead hearts.
1. Remove affected shoots along with caterpillar and destroy them.
2. Spraying of carbaryl 50wp @ 1 kg in 500 lit. water.
3. Spraying of 0.04% endosulfan.
B) Imp. Diseases of turmeric:
1. Leaf spot:
1. Brown spots with black concentric ring are found on leaves.
2. In severe attack leaves wilt and dry.
1. Spraying of bordeaux mixture 5:5:50.
2. Spraying of dithane Z-78 @ 1.5 kg in 500 lit. water/ha.
2. Rhizone Rot:
1. There is sudden wiliting of plant.
2. The rhizomes and roots of wilted plant found rottened.
1. Drenching of soil with 1% ceresan.
2. Planting of diseases free sets.
3. Spraying of bordeaux mixture 5:5:50.
4. Avoid water logging conditions.