Pests and Diseases of Ginger
A) Important Pests of Ginger:
1. Rhizome Fly:
1. The maggot bores into the shoots of ginger plant and as a result. The holes are found on plants.
2. The caterpillar hatches out of eggs bore into the shoots and feed inner content which causes formation of dead hearts.
1. Use healthy seed martial for planting.
2. Remove and destroy affected plants.
3. Spraying of daizinon.
4. Application of 10% phorate @ 20 kg/ha in soil around the base of the plants.
2. Shoot Boring Caterpillar:
1. The moths lay eggs on leaves and other soft plant parts.
2. Spraying of carbaryl 50 wp @ 1 kg in 500 lit. water.
3. Spraying of 0.04% endosulfan.
B) Important Diseases of Ginger:
1. Leaf Spot:
1. Brown spots with black concetric ring are found on leaves.
2. In severe attack leaves wilt and dry.
1. Spraying of bordeaux mixture 5:5:50.
2. Spraying of dithane Z-78 @ 1.5 kg in 500 lig. Water/ha.
2. Rhizome Rot:
1. There is sudden wiliting of plant.
2. The rhizomes and roots of wilted plant found rottened.
1. Drenching of soil with 1% ceresan.
2. Planting of diseases free sets.
3. Spraying of bordeaux mixture 5:5:50.
4. Avoid water logging conditions.