Pests and Diseases of Turmeric
Pests of Turmeric:
1. Shoot Borer: The caterpillar bores into rhizomes and feeds on it.
Control: Spray 0.1 % Malathion.
2. Leaf Roller: Caterpillar remains in leaf folds and feds within. .
Control: Spray 0.05 % Dimethoate.
3. Scale Insects: The scales, damage the rhizomes both in field and in storage
Control: Dip seed rhizomes in 0.05 % Malathion or Dimethoate for 30 minutes before storage or planting.
Diseases of Turmeric:
1. Leaf Blotch: Small oval, rectangular or irregular brown spots appear on either side of leaves and soon become dirty brown. Yield is reduced.
Control: Spray 0.2 % Diethene M-45.
2. Leaf Spot: Brown spots of different size appear on the upper surface of young leaves. The spots are whitish or grayish in the center. Subsequently, the whole leaf gets covered and leaves dry up. The rhizomes do not develop well.
Control: Spray 0.3 % Zineb or 1 % Bordeaux mixture.
3. Rhizome Rot: Leaves dry up starting from the margins. Collar region becomes soft, water soaked and the plants, collapse, Rhizome decay follows.
a. Treat the seed rhizomes with 0.3 % Diethane M-45 for 30 minutes before sowing and also before storage.
b. Under field conditions, drench the beds with 0.3 % Diethane M-45.