Preparation of Chakka and Shrikhand
To study formation of Shrikhand.
To judge the quality of the product.
Shrikhand is a semi soft, sweetish sour, whole milk product, prepared from lactic fermented curd. The curd (dahi) is partially strained through a cloth to remove the whey and thus produce a solid mass called Chakka (the basic ingredient for Shrikhand). This chakka is mixed with required amount of sugar etc. to yield Shrikhand.
It is used as a delicacy in western part of the country, Maharashtra and Gujarat. It shows characteristics flavor and taste due to addition of several ingredients such as cardamom, charoli, nutmug power. Shrikahndwadi is preserved product obtained by the dehydration of shrikhand. The keeping quality of shrikhand can be increased by thermization treatment.
Use clean muslin cloth.
Avoid unhygienic method of handling dahi, Chakka and Shrikhand.
2. Muslin cloth
3. Sugar (powdered form)
4. Nutmug (powdered form)
5. Cardamom (powdered form)
6. Saffron colour.
1. Kneading machine (Shrikhand Patra)
2. Stand for hanging dahi.
3. Bowl for collection of whey.
4. Stainless steel utensils – 2.
5 Big size spoons.
6. Plastic coated cups.
1. Collect milk acidic dahi (0.7 to 1 percent acidity)
2. Break the curd and place in a muslin cloth (bag)
3. Hang dahi containing muslin cloth on a stand for removal of why for 6 to 8 hrs.
4. The solid mass thus obtained is called chakka.
5. The chakka so obtained is the Shrikhand base.
6. Admix chakka so obtained with sugar @ 35 to 45 % by weight of chakka) by using powdered sugar.
7. Knead well for uniform mixing using a kneading machine (Shrikhand patra)
8. Add colour and flavor (nutmug powder about ¼ small spoon per kg of product and mix it thoroughly.
9. The product so obtained is known as shrikhand. It should be served in plastic coated cups.
Calculate the percent recovery of the product.
Wt. Of dahi – Final wt. If shrikhand
Percent recovery = —————————————————— x 100
Weight of dahi
Judging quality of the product:
1. Colour – Texture
2. Body (soft, greasy, lumpy, soggy, buttery)
3. Flavor (pleasant, acidic, putrified off type, aromatic)
4. Taste – (sweetness balancing sweet, sour, too sweet)