Problems Areas to Improve Fruit Production
Due to specific climate requirements of plantation crops, there is less scope there is a less scope to increase the area.
1. Large area under old/ senile plantation.
2. Poor quality of seeds / planting material and low rate of replacement of seeds / cultivars.
3. Lack of irrigation.
4. Economy of scales.
5. Inadequate research, extension and credit support.
6. High wastage of the produce (8 – 37%).
7. Only 0.8 % of production is processed.
8. Inadequate processing and marketing infrastructure.
9. Inadequate institutional support particularly in NE and other hilly region.
10. Inadequate storage and cold chain.