Spacing, Planting Time and Planting Methods for Ginger Cultivation
Spacing: 30 x 30 cm.
Planting Time : Ginger is planted from 15th May to 15th June.
Planting of ginger is done by two methods.
A) Flat Bed Method:
1. This method is followed in light – soil.
2. The flat beds of 4 x 4 m size are prepared.
3. The sets are planted 10 cm deep and at 20 to 30 cm apart from each other .
4. Only one set is planted at each hill and covered by soil.
5. Light irrigation is given immediately after planting.
B) Broad Ridge Method:
1. This method is followed in medium to heavy soils.
2. Raised beds 20 to 30 cm high and 75 to 100 cm broad at the tops are prepared.
3. The length of beds varies from 6 to 10 m depending upon the slope of the land.
4. Sets are planted 30 cm apart from each other and 10 cm deep.
5. Only one set is planted at each spot and covered by soil.
6. Light irrigation is given immediately after planting.
7. This method gives about 50% more yield than flat bed method.