Tagarni – Intercultural Operation in Sugarcane
1. Partial hilling up of soil against crop rows is called as Tagarni.
2. It is done when the cane crop starts rapid growth at the age of 3 – 4 months.
3. Tagarni is done twice at an interval of one month.
4. In small bed and serpentine method this operation is done by manual labour with the help of Tikav.
5. In long furrow method it is done by a light mould board plough with mould board facing the crop line.
6. This operation is done:
i) To loose soil and hilled up against the crop row.
ii) To make deep and wide furrow.
iii) To purne nonfunctional roots.
iv) To suppress the growth of late tillers.