Transplanting of Tobacco Seedlings
1. Tobacco seedlings are transplanted when they are 5 to 6 week old in case of N. rustica and 7 to 9 week old in case of N. tabacum.
2. Watering to nursery beds is with hold ten days before uprooting to harden seedlings.
3. Land is prepared by 2 to 3 ploughings, many time harrowings and cleaned off the weeds and stubbles of previous crop.
4. The position of plants is marked according to spacing by using marker or marking rope.
5. The spacing varies place to place and in Nipani area bid tobacco is planted at 105 x 75 cm distance.
6. Pits of 10 to 15 cm depth are dug at each hill.
7. A few hours before transplanting nursery beds are watered for easy uprooting of seedlings without damaging root system.
8. One healthy, vigorous growing seedling is planted in each pit without bending the roots.
9. The soil around the seedling is pressed well and light irrigation is given.
10. Transplanted seedlings are covered by thatch of jowar leaves to protect them from sun heat and to reduce transpiration.