Varieties of Rabi Sorghum
Motia, Gulab, Jay, Vijay, Niphad – 4, Khapli, Bansi, Sharbati etc.
Introduced Dwarf Varieties from Mexico:
Sonora – 63, Sonora – 64, Mayo – 64, Lerma Rojo etc.These Mexican varieties were developed by Dr. Norman Borlaug and his co workers by using Norin dwarfing gene from Norin – 10, a variety of wheat from Japan which has a dwarf and non-lodging plant habit.
Improved Rainfed Wheat Varieties:
N-59, MACS-9, MACS-1967, NIDW-15 (durum type), Ajantha,,
NI-5439, Hira, Moti etc.
Improved Irrigated Wheat Varieties:
Kalyan Sona, sonalika, Malvika, Lok-1, HD-21889, PBN-142, PBN-51
Characteristics of Wheat Varieties
1. It is released at Agri. Res. Stn. Niphad in 1964.
2. It is produced by crossing Gaza x Motia.
3. It matures in 115-120 days.
4. Grain is bold, lustrous, hard and amber coloured.
5. It is tall growing variety and suitable for timely sowing.
6. It is susceptible to rust disease.
7. It is suitable for dry cultivation all over the state.
8. Av. Yield is about 6-9 qt/ha.
Sonalika (JDM – 1553):
1. It is released at IARI in 1967.
2. It is produced by selection from Mexican bulk of S-308.
3. It is single dwarf wheat widely grown in whole India.
4. It matures early in about 105 days.
5. Grain is amber coloured, bold, hard and attractive.
6. It is resistant to rust.
7. It is suitable for late sowing in highly fertile soils under irrigation.
8. Average yield is about 30-35 qt/ha.
Kalyan Sona (HDM – 1593):
1. It is released at I.A.R.I. in 1967.
2. It is produced by selection from Mexican bulk of S-227.
3. It is double dwarf wheat widely grown all over India.
4. It matures in 116-120 days.
5. Grain is amber coloured, hard and of medium size.
6. It is suitable for medium and high fertile soil under irrigation condition.
7. It is suitable for medium and high fertile soil under irrigation condition.
8. Av. Yield is 40-45 qt/ha.
Malvika (HD – 4502):
1. It is raised at IARI in 1975.
2. It is triple dwarf bansi type wheat grown all over Maharashtra.
3. It matures medium late in about 120-125 days.
4. Grain is amber coloured, short, bold and lustrous.
5. It is resistant to rust.
6. It is responsive to manuring and suitable under irrigation.
7. Average yield is 30-35 qt/ha.