Condition of land in which the sub-soil water table is located at on near the sub-surface
Norms and Ministry of Water Resources Govt. of India:
1. Water logged areas- Water tables within 2m from land surface.
2. Potential area from water logging- Water table between 2-3m from land surface.
3. Safe areas- Water table below 3 m from land surface.
Norms of Classifying Water Logged Areas:
1. Pre- Monsoon (April /May) depth of water table.
2. Post-Monsoon (Oct/Nov) depth of water table.
3. Average WT depth over a season or year.
4. Sum of exceedances of water days above a specified water table. Out of these first and second approachable are more realistic.
Critical Areas for Water Logging:
WT 2-3 m (Pre-monsoon)
WT 1-2m (Post-monsoon)
Potential Area for Wheat Logging:
WT within 3-5 m from the soil surface during pre-monsoon are a considered potential.