Introduction of Zilla Parishad:
It is apex tier of Panchayat Raj System working at District level. It has wide jurisdiction of the development work. As Maharashtra Zilla Parishad Act 1st May, 1962 Zilla Parishad came into structure of Panchayat Raj System in true sense.
Constitutional Structure of Zilla Parishad:
1. For early set up, it was stated that every 40,000 population will elect one Members for Zilla Parishad and as 50 75 Members of Zilla Parishad.
2. All presidents of Panchayat Samiti are the members of Zilla Parishad.
3. The Dist. Collector is also participant Member.
4. R.L.As, MLCs and MPs of the District are Members to vote but not to officiate.
5. Two Women representatives, one from Schedule Caste and One from Schedule Tribe.
6. Two Persons are co-opted from following institutes:
i) District Credit Societies.
ii) Land Development Bank of the District.
iii) Processing Cooperative in the District.
iv) District Industrial Cooperatives.
v) Cooperative / Educational Institute.
7. Deputy Chief Executive Officer is the Secretary of the Zilla Parishad.
8. The members of Zilla Parishad elect a Chairman and Vice-Chairman.
9. The District Heads of the Departments take part in planning and implementing the programme.
10. Chief Executive Officer (C.E.O.) is the Administrator for Zilla Parishad. in all 55 to 85 Members are to be included in whole body of Zilla Parishad.
Officers of Zilla Parishad:
1. Chairman and Vice-Chairman.
2. Chairman each Standing Committee.
3. Chief Executive Officer.
4. Deputy Chief Executive Officers.
5. Subject Matter Specialists.
6. Ministerial Staff as Employees.
Every Zilla Parishad has one Standing Committee and other Seven Subject Committees. At present the Committees are grouped as given below:
Name of the Committee
Planning, Community Development and communication
Food and Agriculture, Cooperation, Animal Husbandry and Irrigation
Industries and Public works
Education, Public Health and Social Welfare
Taxation and Finance
The Subject Committees are known as per subject viz. Economics and Finance, Construction Agriculture Education Economics and Industry, Public Health and Social Education, Welfare. Each Subject Committee consists of 7 elected embers and two co-opted members. The Chief of the Subject Matter Committee is the Secretary of the Subject Committee.